Thursday, March 24, 2011

How do you want to be remembered?

I recently sat and thought about what I would want people to say at my funeral. I had heard about this excercise many times and thought it quaint. But when I actually began to picture my funeral, casket, flowers, people I know and people I don't yet know, it took on a whole new life. I found it amazingly clarifying of what matters to me and how rediculous some of the things I care about really are.

The sobering thing is what I want people to say about me is a good bit different than what I suspect they would say if they were honest. I hope that this becomes less and less the case.

What would you want people to say about you? Try answering that question without using the adjective loving to describe you.

Of course, at the end of the day it is not what I want to be remembered for that matters but what they received from me remembering it or not.

No comments: